Cons and pros (according to me; not necessarily objective):
- Bugs, glitches, lack of optimisation. This is mostly fixed now, but the release was unplayable.
- Too much 2spooky generic horror tropes. I understand why they decided to put more emphasis on the horror elements with this new kind of gameplay, but aside of what comes from the original game, it's the wrong kind of horror. Where the original had surreal Lynchian stuff as well as body⁄sexual horror motifs that gave the impression they would fit in a Japanese, Mesoamerican or other circumpacific folklore story, this has Silent Hill schools, slaughterhouses and evil beacons. And that's without even counting the mannequins and that Slenderman-looking shit, which felt like they were randomly inserted from some other game.
- Platforming and action sequences are an abomination.
- Too short, too linear, too many invisible walls. A little bit of free roaming sections in which you could just walk around and maybe see a thing or two without gaining anything would be nice.
- Visuals, in the dream worlds at least, could really benefit from a bit of stylisation and a bit less realism.
+⁄- The game has a lot of nostalgia targeting packed in. Plenty of Yume Nikki stuff in it consisted of what was basically cameos and Easter eggs (Monoko, FACE, the secret "ending", Aztec Rave Monkey, etc.). On the one hand, the game would be less enjoyable for me if those things weren't present, on the other, I think the way they were included was somewhat unsatisfying. Feels like plain fanservice, although I'm almost sure this is not the case (see below). Post too long. Click here to view the full text.